Search This Blog

Thursday, May 5, 2011

No Photos of Dead Bin Laden

Well, I'm proud of the Navy Seals and their work, and of the CIA and its legwork in this operation. OBL was an evil man and deserved to die, and, as I've posted elsewhere, his death made me think of some Scriptural passages on God's just judgment of the wicked.

But I sympathize with the president's decision to refrain from publicizing photos of the corpse, even if I'm probably going to vote Republican or Libertarian in 2012; and think that release of some photographs for the historical record probably would have been in order.

It is appointed to men to die once, then after that, the judgment (Hebrews 9:27). Death is a very major thing, and the judgments of God upon those who love sin and hate truth is a frightening thing. Further, all of us must one day give account of ourselves before God's judgment seat. If we are Christians, we know we have an advocate in Jesus Christ, the God-man, Messiah, and Righteous One; but my guess is that OBL (barring some last-minute conversion) faced the judgment alone and in his sins--such as his lies, cowardice, and hypocrisy in living in luxury while telling young men to live in caves and sacrifice themselves in suicide missions.

I guess I'm proud of our government in that it didn't indulge in displays such as the one we saw in Somalia. That's what separates a responsible government from thugs in power.

No comments:

Post a Comment