Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Reflections on Bumper Stickers

I just saw a bumper sticker that read:

"I'm proud of my footprint".

I couldn't help but think that I'd like a bumper sticker that read,

"I'm proud of my footprint: it's bigger than Al Gore's."

Actually, the only reason my footprint is bigger than Al Gore's is because I'm certain my shoe size is bigger than his.  Alas, I am not wealthy enough to have as big an environmental footprint as his.

I also saw this one:

"Good women seldom make history".

My only observation is that women who make history usually go to their graves followed by their countries' curses.  While Johnnie Knox got a bad portrayal in the execrable film on Mary Queen of Scots starring the even more execrable Redgrave, he really got it right in his _First Blast of the Trumpet Against the Monstrous Regiment [rule] of Women_.  The line goes back to Athaliah, Queen Mother of Judah, who tried to wipe out the seed of David.  Knowing a bit of Chinese history, the lineup including Yang Guifei, Wu Zitian, and the Qing dynasty's Ci Xi is horrid enough.  As for Queen Elizabeth I, who was not amused at Knox's tract, she was probably an exception who proved the rule.

I also note that there are a lot of bad women who somehow don't die at a ripe old age surrounded by loving (as opposed to scheming and rivalrous) families.  Then again, something tells me that the lady sporting the sticker I saw probably isn't reproducing anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment